Reclaimed Yorkstone Paving Cathedral Grade and Reclaimed Cobbles
For a recent project with St Martha’s Priory, we supplied in excess of 275m2 of Reclaimed Cathedral Grade York Stone. We also supplied approx 15 tonnes of Reclaimed York Stone Cobbles.
St Martha’s Priory was built in 1932 by architect AC Burlingham FRIBA for Captain Hugh Deacon of Deacon’s bank Guildford. AC Burlingham (1885-1963) trained at the Birmingham School of Arts and Crafts which was strongly influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement. He moved to Surrey in 1909, and to Guildford in 1911 where he continued to emulate the work of the highly influential Surrey Arts and Crafts Vernacular Revival architects such as Baillie Scott. He designed at least seventy houses, shops and a factory in the area.
It was a great privilege for us to supply a historical building with Reclaimed York Stone. There are many factors to consider when undertaking such a restoration project. Materials must be sympathetic with the character, whilst still being serviceable and aesthetically pleasing. Reclaimed Yorkstone filled this remit on all levels, leaving an ongoing legacy for generations to come.